Skip to main content

Consider This: Everyone Sings Better in a Duet


Country music legend Kenny Rogers stated that he always sang better when he sang with someone else.  When pressed to explain, he said (paraphrasing), “Say you were to go out and run the 100-meter dash.  You would run as fast as you could.  However, if they put someone on the track with you, someone who was a little bit faster, you would probably run harder to try and beat them.  That is what always happened when I sang with someone else.  For example, I would go in and put down my vocal track and think it was good.  Then, Dolly Parton would go in and do her part, and it would be so much better than mine that I would go back and re-record my vocals.  She would listen to mine and decide that she wanted to re-do hers, and she would get better.  Of course, in a live performance, we would play off each other.  I can sing alone, but everyone sings better in a duet!”
 

It is tempting to live independently.  It is common to think, “I do not need anyone!”  After all, relationships are a hassle.  They require compromise and accommodation to the wants and needs of others.  Decisions become more difficult when more people are involved.  
 

However, as Kenny pointed out, we can never become who we are supposed to be without the influence of and interaction with others.  We need the input and insight that others bring.  We need to see things from perspectives other than our own.  The hassle of relationships is also their blessing.  They force us out of our selfish ways and cause us to grow in ways we would not otherwise.
 

Friends are not optional.  Surface-level acquaintances are not good enough.  We must develop deep relationships that can shape, change, and form us.
 

We are always better together!
 

“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another” (Proverbs 27:17).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...