Skip to main content

Four Letters for 2009

The phrase “What would Jesus do?” (Often abbreviated “WWJD”) became popular in the 1890s (as the subtitle of a book by Charles Sheldon) and again in the 1990s. It is a reminder that in any situation we can choose to act the way Jesus would.

As 2009 opens, may I suggest a slightly different phrase to consider, “WCJD - What could Jesus do?”

You see, if I ask, “What would Jesus do?” then the focus is on me. I have to decide how to react and do something. However, if my question is, “What could Jesus do?” then Jesus and his power become the focus. Instead of me trying to fix things, maybe I pray and trust God to do something. Instead of worrying, maybe I end up trusting and believing that God is working. If I am bringing everyone and everything to Jesus, then who knows what could happen?

Luke chapters 8 and 9 make up one interesting section of this gospel. It begins with Jesus calming a storm on the Sea of Galilee (8:22-25). He then heals a demon possessed man (8:26-39), a sick woman (8:40-48) and brings a dead girl back to life (8:49-56). These chapters show Jesus solving one problem after another. He cures people, feeds people and demonstrates the power of God.

Now, I do not know what Jesus will do in your life. Maybe he will change your circumstances, or maybe he will help change you so that you can handle your circumstances. Maybe things will get better, or maybe he will give you strength and patience to deal with things as they are. However, if we believe the word of God, then we need to believe that anytime Jesus is brought into the equation, somehow things change for the better.

“What would Jesus do?” is a good question because I need to make sure, as best I can, that my actions line up with Christ. However, “What could Jesus do?” is a more encouraging question because when Jesus shows up anything can happen.

In 2009, I am going to pray for and hope in the things that Christ could do. How about you?

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...