Skip to main content

Limited by… Me?

Her husband was dead, she was out of money and a creditor was coming to take her and her two boys away as slaves. That is when she sought help from the prophet Elisha.

“How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?” Elisha asked.

“Your servant has nothing there at all,” she said, “except a little oil”.

Elisha then told her to go to all her neighbours and borrow as many empty jars as she could. She was then told to go home and start pouring the oil into the jars.

As she began to fill the jars, the oil miraculously continued flow until she had filled every jar that she had in the house. God provided for her in her time of need and she was able to sell the extra oil to pay her debts.

Here is the interesting part of this story for us: The scripture says, “When all the jars were full she said to her son, ‘Bring me another one.’ But he replied, ‘There is not a jar left.’ Then the oil stopped flowing” (2 Kings 4:6).

Did you get that? The oil stopped flowing after all the jars that she had gathered were full. So, what would have happened if she had been able to get four more jars? How about 14 more? What about 40 more?

The scripture seems to say that the only thing that limited the amount of oil that she received was her capacity to receive it. In other words, the blessing stopped because of her not because of God.

So that leads me to another question, “How many jars do we have?” In other words, how have we prepared ourselves to receive God’s blessings? Are we getting ready and gathering what we need? Are we putting ourselves in a place where God and use us and work through us?

What if God is just waiting to hear, forgive and bless you? What if he really is able to do “more than anything we can ask or imagine?” (Ephesians 3:20)

Maybe it is time to start listening and getting ready.

Do you have any empty jars?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...