Skip to main content

Of First Importance


            “For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve” (I Corinthians 15:3-5).
            Sometimes we are very selective in our reading and teaching of the word of God.  I do not think that we do it intentionally, but it happens.  For instance, think about how we teach the story of the New Testament.  We like both the birth and baptism of Jesus, so they get a lot of attention.  We dissect and dig into the “Sermon on the Mount” (Matthew 5-7).  We love the parables and the miracles of Christ.  We dwell on the cross and its meaning. 
Then, something odd happens.  Often (in my experience anyway) in our rush to get to “The Day of Pentecost” and the starting of the church in the book of Acts, we skip over the most important part.  “At dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it… The angel said to the women, ‘Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen’” (Matthew 28:1-6). 
“He has risen!”  Those are the words that changed everything.  In a split second everything went from bad to good and from disaster to glory.   Suddenly the hopeless had hope, the joyless were rejoicing and those whose dreams had been crushed had something to live for again.  That one message changed the disciples and then it changed the world
The resurrection is about “new beginnings”.  It is about “second chances”.  It is about God being able to do something that no one dreamed could happen. 
In a world that grinds us down and wears us out, the memory of the empty tomb can re-adjust our focus and give us hope.  It is a reminder that no matter how bad things look, God can redeem them and make them useful. 
“Behold I make all things new” (Revelation 21:5).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...