Skip to main content

The “Tent of Meeting”


            God’s people were in big trouble.  Shortly after being told that they were to “Have no other gods” and that they were not to make “an idol” (Exodus 20), they, inexplicably, create a Golden Calf and worship it (Exodus 32).  God’s reaction to this incident is to withdraw his presence from the people.  “I will send an angel before you… but I will not go with you” (Exodus 33:2-3).  

            Moses knew that he has to find a way to re-connect the people to God, so he came up with a plan.  “Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the ‘tent of meeting’. Anyone inquiring of the Lord would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp. And whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people rose and stood at the entrances to their tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the Lord spoke with Moses. Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshipped each at the entrance to their tent” (Exodus 33:7-10).

            Moses’ “tent of meeting” had two significant functions.  First, it gave the people a place to worship God together.  That is important because, when people come together to worship, they connect to God in a way that they cannot otherwise.  In fact, in Matthew 18:20, Jesus states, “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them”.  There is a special blessing to be found when believers come together.

            Secondly, the “Tent of meeting” gave people an opportunity for times of private worship and reflection.  Those who wanted to “inquire of the Lord” would go out to the tent and meet him there.  Worshipping in a group is great, but for our faith to be real and alive we each need some time of private reflection.  We need to set aside time to think and to pray.  The “tent of meeting” provided this opportunity and helped reconstruct the link between God and his people.

            Interestingly, things have not changed that much.  Those times public of worship and private reflection are still absolutely vital to our faith.

            So it is worth asking:  “Do you have a ‘tent of meeting’ in your life?”

            (Ps.  Please know that you would be welcome to worship with us any Sunday.  As well, I have some hints that may help you start a “quiet time” with God.  If you are interested, please contact me at the church office)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...