Skip to main content

Unintended Consequences


           
            A news headline this past week read, “Cellphone call limits suggested by Health Canada”.  The story went on to say that, though more study is needed, parents should encourage children to limit the time that they spend talking on their cellphones.  The concern comes from the radiation that cellphones emit and the thinking that it may harm children whose brains, skulls and immune systems are still developing.

            In church on Sunday, I asked, “Have any of you done anything differently in light of this warning?”   Interestingly, though most people had seen the story (or others like it), not one person said that they had changed their actions.  Why?  

            I think it has to do with the fact that the consequences are not immediate.  The issue, if there is one, is going to surface, not now, but 30 years from now, so we just keep doing what we do.  If the consequence was immediate, if you burned your ear every time you used your phone, you would likely change your actions immediately.

            I think we often apply the same thinking to sin.  In fact, we have come up with lists of what we think are “big sins” (such as murder and adultery) and “little sins” (such as gossip and “little white lies”) based, mostly, on the immediacy and severity of the consequence.  If I cheat on my wife, for example, I lose my family, my house, my money and maybe my job (that is a big deal).   If, on the other hand, I gossip about someone, generally speaking nothing really visible happens (so I am less concerned about it).

            But what if, ultimately, all sin is rightly understood as a rebellion against God and, therefore, has the same consequence?  Sin, “big” or “small”, puts distance between God and me. 

            “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin” (1 John 1:5-7)     

            While I will never be perfect, my thoughts and actions are important, not only because of what happens now, but because they are ultimately forming my character and, therefore, affecting my relationship with God.   That is worth some thought.

“Just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy’” (1 Peter 1:15-16)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...