Skip to main content

Do You See Wheat or Weeds?


In Matthew 13, Jesus tells of a farmer who sowed good seed in field, only to find that an enemy had sowed weeds among the wheat.  When the man’s servants realize this, they ask, “Do you want us to go pull them up?” (Verse 28)    The farmer answers, “No!  Because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time, I will tell the harvesters: ‘First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn’” (Verses 29-30).
I have always heard this parable used as a lesson in patience, or as a reminder of the coming judgment day.   However, I think there is another point to understand.
The farmer did not want his servants in his field because they are focused on the weeds!   Their first inclination is to think about what is wrong, and, because of that, they will pull out not only the bad plants but the good ones too.  The farmer does not want them in the field because they are not seeing things properly.
Contrast that to Jesus’ attitude.  When he looks at the world, he says, “Wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest!” (John 4:35).   Instead of thinking that everything is falling apart and that no one wants to hear about spiritual things, his estimation is that, “The harvest is plentiful” (Matthew 9:37).   Jesus focuses on the potential, not the problems.  He sees the wheat, not the weeds.  He understands that something that looks bad may turn into something good.  He believes that there will be a harvest.  Therefore, he reacts differently. 
At its core, faith is a way of seeing the world and understanding life.  As Christian people, we must train ourselves to see things the way God sees them.  We must believe that God is at work and that there is more going on than what we see or understand.  We must guard our hope! 
I am not saying that we ought to live in denial and pretend that there are no problems, but I am saying that what we focus on grows! 
We serve a God of resurrection and life!
Therefore, we better focus on the wheat and not the weeds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...