Skip to main content

Look for Progress Not Perfection

                 Everyone loves an underdog story.  From kids who start out in bad situations and make it big, to sports teams that should lose but end up winning, we like big, unexpected results.  There is a reason why so many books and movies are “rags to riches” stories.  We like big, sudden turnarounds.
                It should not surprise us, then, that we like spiritual comeback stories too.  We like to focus on dramatic testimonies and instant changes.   However, that is not the way most people experience spiritual growth and renewal.  Most of us are much more like a man that Jesus met in the little town of Bethsaida (Mark 8:22-26).
                On that day, some friends brought a blind man to be healed.  Instead of the instant, spectacular, showy event the were expecting, Jesus took the man outside of town where no one else could see them.   Then he spat on the man’s eyes (not exactly something that you dream about) and then he asked, “Do you see anything?”
                The man’s response is interesting because he says, “I see people; they look like trees walking around”.  Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes and this time the man’s eyes were opened, and he could see clearly.
                I like that this healing is progressive.  It does not happen all at once.  Instead, the man’s sight returns slowly and in stages.
                Isn’t this how things happen for most of us?  Change usually comes in small, incremental steps.  We understand a little more.  We see ourselves a little more clearly.  We determine to become different or to do something better.  We fail and try again.  We pray and trust.  It is a process. 
                Do not be discouraged if parts of your life are still a little blurry.  Not only is it okay to grow in holiness, it is normal.  Rather than demanding perfection from ourselves or others, what we ought to look for and encourage is progress.  Movement toward God is the important part.
                At your baptism, your status changed.  Instantly, you went from sinner to saint because you were clothed with Christ (Galatians 3:26-27). 
Holiness, however, takes time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...