Skip to main content

Create Some Space for Others

                 When doing up a dress shirt, if you do not get the first button in the right place, every other button will be wrong.
                I think the church has missed the first button.
                As groups and individuals, we do a lot of good.  We have good intentions.  We love God and we want to make disciples, but most of us are not seeing a lot of fruit.  What are we missing?
                Hospitality.
                When you read that word, you probably think about having someone over for supper.  That could be part of it, but Biblical hospitality starts with something much simpler.  It starts with an attitude.
                “I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law… so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law… so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some” (1 Corinthians 9:19-23).
                Do you hear what Paul is saying?  He will do anything in order to build a bridge to others so that he can teach the gospel.  He will be interested in whatever they are interested in.  He will go where they go.  He will do what they do.  He will not compromise his faith, but he will put his personal preferences to the side and ask, “Can I join you?”
                That is the exact opposite of what I was taught!   I was told to run away from people.  I was told that I should not have any non-Christian friends.  We formed a church softball team so that none of us had to meet any one we did not know.   We insulated ourselves, hid in the church building and then wondered why we were not having much impact on the community.
                “The word became flesh and dwelt among us!” (John 1:14).   If Jesus’ example teaches us anything it is that we ought to be running towards people, not away from them.  We ought to be welcoming, instead of shunning.  We ought to be going, instead of waiting.
                A hospitable, welcoming heart that makes room for others is the first button. 
                If we get that wrong, nothing else will line up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...