Skip to main content

Only the Lonely

                 I feel lonely.  Not all the time, but I feel it now more than I ever have in my life.  I felt it when our girls grew up and left home.  I felt it when close friends moved away.  I feel it when the house is empty, and I am wondering what to do with my day.
                I wonder if you feel it too.
                Actually, I know you are lonely.  I know it because you are constantly on your phone.  Every time it rings or dings, you pick it up.  You cannot wait or even stop yourself.  I know it because some of you spend hours on Facebook.  Whether you admit it or not, you are longing for connection. 
                Some fill the gap by watching so much TV that the people on the shows become their vicarious friends.  Listen and you will hear them refer to reality stars, talk show hosts or news anchors as if they know them personally.  TV allows us to have people in our homes, without really having people in our homes.
                Still others keep themselves busy so that they do not have to feel anything.  If loneliness ever creeps in, they stuff it down because it is too hard or too scary to think about what they have lost or what they may lose in the future. 
                We are experts at avoiding ourselves.
                Interestingly, we assume that the cure for loneliness is getting to know more people.  However, that does not work.  A crowd can be one of the loneliest places of all.
                What is the answer then?  
                The key is not knowing more people.  Rather, it is allowing more people to know you.  
                There is something powerful and life changing about being open and honest.  That is why “Alcoholics Anonymous” is so effective.  It is the one place, and often the first time, people tell others who they really are and admit their struggles.  You cannot do this with everyone, but you need to be able to be open with someone.
                Do not wait for others to come to you.  The first step is yours. 
                Take the risk of developing deep relationships.  It will improve both your friendships and your faith.
                “Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart” (1 Peter 1:22).
_____________
If you would like to watch the sermon from which this article was derived, please see the previous post on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI