Skip to main content

Why Does God Need Our Worship?

                I have an answer for the question above.  It may not be the answer you expect, but it is true.  Consider Matthew 14. 
                The chapter begins with John the Baptist’s beheading.  Verse 13 notes that “When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place”.  However, the crowds followed, and he spent the day teaching and healing (verse 14).  As evening approached, Jesus miraculously fed the crowd of 5000 plus, and then told the disciples to get back in the boat while he spent some time praying (verses 15-22). 
                During a stormy night, Jesus came to them, walking on the water.  Peter decided that he would like to try that too.  You likely know how that turned out (verses 28-31).
                After Peter’s rescue, we are told that, “When they climbed into the boat, the wind died down” (verse 32).  This is the second time that a storm on the Sea of Galilee was suddenly stilled. The first time, the disciples were confused and asked, “What king of man is this?  Even the winds and the wave obey him!” (Matthew 8:27).
                This time, their reaction was different: “Those who were in the boat worshipped him and said, ‘Truly you are the Son of God!’” (verse 33).
                The disciples worshipped because they finally got it!  They saw who Jesus was and they understood their place by comparison.  They worshipped him because it was the only response that made any sense.
                So, why does God need your worship? 
                The answer:  He doesn’t!  The creator of the universe is not some insecure 13-year-old that needs a world full of people worshipping him so that he feels good about himself.
                God does not need our worship; We do!
                We need to worship because it reminds us who is in charge.  We need to worship because it counteracts our self-interested motivations.  We need to worship so that we stop getting and start giving.  We need to worship so that we are transformed (Romans 12:1-2).
                When we neglect worship, whether formally on Sunday morning or privately every day of the week, it is an indication that we have forgotten something important.  We have forgotten who God is and where we fit in his creation.
                Worship must be focused on God, but it is for our benefit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...