Skip to main content

You Can Do This

                 Timothy had one job.  He was to stay in the city of Ephesus so that he could teach and help organize the church there.

                Timothy also had one big problem.  He had no leverage.  He could not make people listen to him or do anything.  The church, after all, is essentially a volunteer organization.  Additionally, Timothy was young, so it was easy to ignore him. 

                Do you know that feeling?  You want to help and direct people to the answers they need, yet you have no way of making them listen or do what is best. 

                In cases like this, we often resort to the wrong methods.  For example, we try to guilt people into doing what we think they ought to do.  Maybe we get angry and try to bully them into the response we want.  Sometimes when people do not listen, we try to teach them a lesson by isolating them and treating them as if they do not exist.  I have seen each of those situations play out in families and the church and they never end well.  

                What can we do?

                We can do what Timothy did.

                We can set an example.  “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity” (1 Timothy 4:12). 

                Examples are much more powerful than we realize. 

                You speak the language you do, not because your brain was wired to think in those words, but because that language was the example that you copied.  In math class, before you tackled a new equation, you were given a sample question as an example of how it was to be done.  These days, when anyone wants to learn anything, they go to YouTube and watch a video, because examples are instructive.

                 One of the ways Jesus taught us what faith looks like is that he came here and lived an example of it.

                You may not be able to make anyone do anything, but you can show them something better.

                “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ” (1 Corinthians 11:1)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...