Skip to main content

More than What We See

                In 2019, the California Academy of Sciences released a list of seventy-one new species that had been discovered that year. This list included seventeen types of fish, fifteen geckos, six sea slugs, four eels, and two lizards.

                I find it fascinating that we are still finding new creatures. Since 2010, the academy has discovered 1375 previously unknown species, and the article I read stated that “Biodiversity scientists estimate that more than 90 percent of Earth’s species are still unknown”.

                If that is true of the physical world which we know so well, what might that say about the Spiritual world about which we know so little? When I read scripture, I realize that there is more going on than what I see, know, or expect.

                After Joseph’s brothers turn on him and sell him as a slave, God continues to work in his life to give him opportunities that he never would have had otherwise. After Joseph saves the entire known world from a famine, he is reunited with his brothers and reassures them that, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good” (Genesis 50:30).

                Moses is tending his father-in-law’s sheep on a day that is just like every other day, when God breaks in and says, “I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt” (Exodus 3:10).

                Jesus’ death on the cross looked like a defeat, but, in truth, it was the moment of victory. “He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed” (1 Peter 2:24).

                If my life depends on me being good enough, smart enough, and strong enough to make the right decisions and do the right things, I am in big trouble. However, when I understand that there is more going on than what I see and that God is at work in ways I do not understand, then I can trust that even unpleasant events can be used for my good.

                Jesus once said, “My father is always at his work” (John 5:17).

                Therefore, anything can happen.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...