Skip to main content

Remember How Jesus Responds

                  Sometimes, when one starts with the wrong idea, it can be difficult to see things correctly. For example, when my Sunday School teachers talked about Jesus being arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane, I pictured a quiet, orderly scene. People came from town, found Jesus, and told him that the High Priest would like to see him. In response, Jesus got up and quietly followed them back to town. That picture could not be further from the truth.

                Mark 14 says, “As he (Jesus) was speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, appeared. With him was a crowd armed with swords and clubs” (verse 43). That does not sound very peaceful. Rarely does an armed crowd show up in a quiet and orderly fashion.

                Then things deteriorated even more. “The men seized Jesus and arrested him. Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear” (verses 46-47). John tells us that Peter was the one who drew his sword and started swinging (John 18:10). This should not surprise us. Peter said that he would die with Jesus if he had to, and he was true to his word (Mark 14:31).

                The scene must have looked more like a mob brawl than a quiet night in the park. However, during this chaotic scene, two amazing things take place.

                First, Jesus healed the man (Luke 22:51). Jesus was always about healing and restoration. When others were ready to fight and wound, Jesus stepped in to heal and mend.

                The second amazing thing is that even though he is the one facing crucifixion, Jesus is the calming influence. He reminds them that violence never brings about the righteous things of God (James 1:20). They come in anger and Jesus responds in love and service.

                Those two pictures are worth remembering any time you start to question who Jesus is and what he might do. During the most chaotic and stressful night of his life, Jesus heals and Jesus calms.

                He can do the same for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...