Skip to main content

The Importance of Seeing Well

                  When Nadia Popovici decided to attend the NHL’s Seattle Kraken’s first ever home game last year, she did not understand how life-changing that event would be for her and a complete stranger.

                Popovici was seated behind the Vancouver Canucks bench and, while she thoroughly enjoyed the game, she was also distracted by a mole on the neck of one of their staff members.  Unsure what to do, Popovici waited until the end of the game and then went over to where Brian Hamilton was standing.  She banged on the glass to get his attention and, when he looked, she held her phone up so that he could see a message that said, “The mole on the back of your neck is cancer”.

                Hamilton shrugged and went on with his duties, not giving it much more thought.  However, when he got home the next morning, he mentioned the incident to his wife who insisted he get checked out by the team doctor immediately.  As it turned out, Nadia was right.  Not only was the mole cancerous, but it was stage two malignant melanoma, which, if left undetected, would have been life-threatening.

                Hamilton had the mole removed and, because they caught it in time, his doctors told him that he was cancer-free.  In January, Hamilton and Popovici met so that he could thank her and present her with some money from the Canucks and the Kraken to help her go to medical school.

                How did Nadia Popovici notice this cancerous mole when everyone else in Hamilton’s life missed it?  Simply, Nadia was trained to see it. 

                Nadia wants to be a doctor, so she had spent time volunteering at a cancer ward.  "I saw his [mole] and I was like, wow, that is a picture-perfect example of what a melanoma looks like,'' she said.  

                Properly trained eyes always see what others miss.

                The apostle Paul recognized this need for eyes that see differently when he said, “I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe” (Ephesians 1:18-19).

                May we have eyes that are trained to see our blessings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...