Skip to main content

Consider This: The Blessing of Being Teachable



In 1908, just five years after their first successful powered flight, the Wright brothers held a public demonstration of their new technology. While most were amazed and thrilled, a writer from England was not as impressed. In his article, he wrote, “Airplanes will never surpass airships (blimps)”. Then he pointed out the many ways this new technology was inferior to the old one.
 
First, airplanes needed runways while airships did not. Next, most airships could carry fifty to one hundred people while the Wright brother’s craft could transport only one. On top of that, airships could hover in one place making them useful for military observations and therefore, in the writer’s mind, making the airplane a non-factor in wartime. Lastly, blimps could fly higher and were easier to control. Thus, the writer concluded that, while heavier-than-air flying machines were interesting, they were impractical and nothing more than a passing novelty.
 
Change is hard! It is difficult to see past what something is and visualize what it could be. That is true of people too. It takes insight to see the potential in others and us.
 
The key, though, is to be teachable. To be open to new ideas and new ways of doing things. If we are unable to adapt, we will miss some of our best blessings.
 
It has been said, “If you only do what you have always done, you will only get what you have always got!”
 
Maybe it is time to seek some other paths.
 
“For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding” (Proverbs 2:6).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...