Skip to main content

Consider This...... A Valuable Reminder!

 

Who is the saddest person in the Bible?

My vote goes to a woman we meet in Luke 7. We do not know her name, age, or what happened to her husband or, for that matter, her son. All we know is that she is a widow who lives in the little village of Nain and, when we meet her, her worst nightmare has just come true.  She is accompanying her only son’s body as they take him to the cemetery to be buried.

Being a widow in New Testament times was difficult.  Being a widow who lost her only son was a disaster!  Women did not work outside the home.  They relied on their husband or their male children to provide for them.  In other words, not only was this woman sad and grieving, but she was also in big trouble!  Fortunately, her situation was about to change again.  She was about to meet Jesus.

Scripture tells us that when Jesus saw her, “His heart went out to her” (Luke 7:13).  Other translations say, “He felt deep (or great) compassion for her”.  I am told that the Greek expression here is the strongest one possible.  Jesus did not feel a little sorry for her.  His heart broke on her behalf!  That is why he went to the casket, raised the boy from the dead and gave him back to his mother (verses 14-15).

When we find ourselves in difficult circumstances, it is tempting to wonder if God sees or cares at all.  Even worse, we can conclude that God is angry at us or that he is mean.  None of that is true!

You may not always get what you want, but never doubt that God sees, knows, and loves you.  Never, for a moment, think he does not care.  That simply is not true!

Just ask the widow of Nain!

“The Lord is close to the broken-hearted” (Psalm 34:18)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...