Skip to main content

Consider This...... One Focus Above All

 

Justin Bourne seemed to have it all.  The son of former NHL star Bob Bourne, Justin was playing in the minors, one step from the big leagues.  He had a wife and a couple of kids.  Unfortunately, he also had a huge drinking problem!  With his life spiralling out of control, he checked into rehab. 

During one of the sessions, the class leader handed everyone a piece of paper and told them to list the most important things in their lives.  Justin did not even have to think about the answer and immediately wrote “Family” at the top of his list. 

When the instructor looked at Justin’s list he said, “You are wrong!”   Justin was confused.  How could family be the wrong answer?  The instructor said, “What you should have put at the top of your list was ‘Stay Sober!’  That is the most important thing in your life because if that does not happen, you will lose all the other good things on your list!”

It is easy to become distracted.  It is easy to get our priorities wrong and lose our way.  Even good things become a problem when they take priority over the best things.

Jesus had something to say about that when, in Matthew 6:33, he said, “Seek first his (God’s) kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33).

J. I. Packer once said, “Once you become aware that the main business that you are here for is to know God, most of life's problems fall into place of their own accord”.

What is at the top of your list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...